Thursday, August 27, 2009

This is water.

It's been emotional. I feel like I've aged five years in the past month. My bones ache. Most of these days I spend alone, with these things keeping me afloat:

- My two black cats, my ninjas of domesticated felines, I don't know what I would do without them in this silent, empty house.

- Clint Eastwood. Respect.

- Django Reinhardt Radio Station.

- This "book"

This contains the commencement speech that David Foster Wallace delivered at Kenyon College in 2005. I first read it transcribed online for a class. When I found this in the New Books at work, at first I felt a bit upset that they would publish this 1) as a book (really, it's just a speech spread out to last 130+ pages), and 2) po$t mortem, but at least this way his words reach more people. I've been reading this as daily meditation in the morning and then again at night, sometimes before work, sometimes after work.

- ghosts (I think.)

and,

- lizards, bumblebees, regular bees, wasps, grasshoppers, ants, and crickets (the last three of which have been on my feet/crawling up my leg at least once each, today).

Have you ever laid down and stared up at the night sky and pretended that you were actually looking down? That you were somehow suspended above the night? That's what snorkeling was like for me. Except I was suspended above a watery universe. Just a thought. Good night and good morning.

No comments: