Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened (On the Way to This Post)

So. In my last update I said I would try to post an "Adventures in Shelving" every week. Two weeks later, I have a new post, not about shelving or closing, but about how I managed to get hired by a very prestigious scientific research university.

This is a big deal for me. I am more than humbled by this, regardless of how little I may be doing in the grand scheme of things. Although, helping to nourish the minds of potential Nobel laureates is kind of important I guess.

I start tomorrow morning. I am nervous. Mostly because I've never had to work a full time day in my life. And I don't like starting new things. Also, I have to wake up early. Please don't make fun of me.

This is the building I will be inside of most of the time.



It looks intimidating, but the then-interviewers/now-supervisors were surprisingly laid-back. It didn't even feel like an interview. There were none of the typical interview questions, like the dreaded what are your three greatest weaknesses? (they probably are: cats, trivia games, and my lack of front desk experience in that order), It was more like a meeting that I, a well dressed stranger with purple shoes, an over sized man's watch, and a random assortment of rubber bands on one wrist, just happened to sit in on. 1.25 hours later, they gave me a tour of the working spaces and said, "See ya later!" It was fun and inviting.

Now comes the hard part - the first day.

More to come...if I survive.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Did you get hired at Caltech? Go and rent the movie Real Genius with Val Kilmer. It is (not so) loosely based on the antics of Caltech students.