Thursday, May 28, 2009

Adventures in Shelving - Ways To Upset Patrons #1

Sooo when a patron comes up and uncomfortably asks you to help him find a book on the subject of, let's say, HOW TO DATE, he might get offended if you hand him a copy of Dating for Dummies, and forget to explain that he shouldn't take the title so literally.

If said patron then proceeds to walk huffily away with an off the shoulder dirty look back at you and no "thank you" in sight, BUT with the book totally in his hands, you can blame it on his lack of social skills, thus the reason for him to need a book on dating. I guess.

Maybe I shouldn't have been smiling while handing him the book? That might have confused him. I was just happy for the guy, like, "Way to go, man...good luck! I hope you learn how to smile. Maybe that's lesson number one in the book. Don't leave me hangin' here with no facial reciprocation or eye contact! I'd high-five you, but it'd be too loud....am I smelling the pheromones of fear and barely suppressed embarrassment in your perspiration right now...? Not gonna lie, I kind of like it. Haha, I'm just kidding...or am I?"


LESSON LEARNED: I need to read and react to people better. Do they have a Complete Idiot's Guide to Dealing with People Just as Awkward as You Are and Other Normal People Too book available at the library? Place a hold on it for me.

1 comment:

Garo said...

Did this really happen? Wow.